SANAM is an Indian pop rock band formed in 2010 currently based in Mumbai, India known for its renditions of old classic Bollywood songs as well as original music. They are also referred to as India’s One Direction because of their quick rise in popularity. The band SANAM consists of Sanam Puri (lead vocalist/composer), Samar Puri (lyricist/lead guitar/composer), Venky S or Venkat Subramaniyam (bass guitar) and Keshav Dhanraj (Drums/lead music arranger). The business manager Ben Kurian Thomas is referred to as the 5th member of the band. The band is amongst India’s top 10 independent YouTube Channels, India’s biggest music artist on the digital platform and the fastest growing YouTube channel in the country.
The band was awarded the Best Music Content Creator (National Category) at the Social Media Summit & Awards in Amravati in 2017 by AP Tourism Minister Bhuma Akhila Priya and MP Kesineni Srinivas.
2010: Formation and first years
In 2003, Venky and Samar were batchmates in Indian School, Muscat, both of them played guitar and planned to start a band so they got Samar’s younger brother, Sanam Puri in the band to join as a singer. After completion of school, they all moved to India for college. Sanam & Samar moved to Delhi and got involved there in the college rock circuits . Sanam Puri started winning awards for his singing and Samar Puri started writing songs. Venky meanwhile in Bangalore took up bass playing with various bands. He sang a cappella in college and started performing swing/jazz and pop standards regularly at clubs. Venky met Keshav (who was the drummer in bands like Nerverek and Buzz Theory) through the college rock circuit and they formed an alternative rock outfit called ‘The Previous Band’. Venky used to travel to Chennai (where the band was based) write songs, rehearse and perform with them. Eventually 2 band members took off to M.I in LA for music education and another member went to SAE in Byron Bay. Thus ended their short stint of ‘The Previous Band’. In 2009, Samar and Sanam moved to Mumbai to pursue a music career. Keshav also took up a job with Furtados as their Brand manager for Zildjian, Evans and Pearl drums. Venky connected the three of them and they hit it off in Keshav’s garage where they started writing music together. In May 2010, Times Music launched a nationwide pop band hunt called ‘Supastars’ for young talent in India. Samar Keshav & Sanam put in an entry randomly in the name of The SQS Project. Over 1600 bands across India took part in this contest. Venky joined them in the final round and amongst all the entries, The SQS Project won the title ‘Times Music Supastars’ and this is how the journey began. giving the band a name of ‘SQS Supastars’.
The band released their first self-titled album, Supastars, and later released music videos of their songs “Hawa Hawa” and “Behka”. This project featured the work of major Swedish and Denmark music labels who handled the mixing and mastering of the album. The band also endorsed the ‘Mufti’ clothing line during their second music video “Behka”.
2012: Formation of Sanam- the band and Growth Curve
In 2012 the band met Ben Thomas (Managing Director, Kurian & Co Talent Management and a recognised music business manager who had managed careers of successful music artists including Sonu Nigam and Vishal-Shekhar), and based on his experience and knowledge of the Indian music industry paved the way forward for the band.
He also introduced the band to Vishal-Shekhar which led to Sanam Puri’s first Bollywood break as a play back singer with songs like “Dhat Teri Ki” from the movie Gori Tere Pyaar Mein and “Ishq Bulaava” from Hasee Toh Phasee. The same year the band composed its first original composition “Main Hoon” for the Hollywood blockbuster The Amazing Spiderman 2.
The band performed in the capital Male at the VMY Music Festival in July 2015, which commemorated the 50th Anniversary of Independence of the Republic of Maldives.The Ballard Estate Festival in Mumbai was formally inaugurated by the chief guest Nitin Gadkari, Minister Of Road Transport and Highways Of India on 24 January, followed by the headlining performance by Sanam band. The event was attended by eminent personalities such as actress and politician Hema Malini.
In 2016 as a part of a property called Jammin, a digital musical collaboration featuring YouTube’s best musical talent with four music composers A R Rahman, Salim-Sulaiman, Clinton Cerejo, and Mithoon, “Inquilab Mera Khwab” was released in collaboration with Clinton Cerejo and “Yaara” was released in collaboration with A R Rahman and all the other Artists who were a part of the program.
The band has since been often referred to as India’s One Direction because of their fast popularity, and was described as a “fabulous four” by the Times of India.On 1 April 2017, music broadcaster Channel V announced the launch of its latest property ‘Only On V’, with an exclusive partnership with band Sanam. The band aims to spread love and happiness through their music and considers this opportunity one of their greatest achievements. Their endorsement of EBay, an online retail giant and it’s campaign #NoWorldwithoutWomen got a very good response. The band in 2017 did a series of concerts as a part of Pledge Tour with the objective of not just giving the audience a great time but also raise the issue of growing cases of Child Sexual Abuse in India in association with a Chennai-based NGO Justice & Hope.
In the month of February 2018, Sanam was declared the artist of the month on MTV Beats for its new release Sanam Mennu. MTV Beats the 24×7 Hindi Music TV Channel, through a series of specially curated shows under the concept of Month of love, featured SANAM Band in three of its shows. First two were “Spotlight: Dil Beats with Sanam Band” and “Love shots” which were all about love & romance and third was the kicking off episode of “Gaano Ka Rafu Centre 2.0” hosted by Sahil Khattar. Sanam band is releasing original songs like Sanam Mennu & Tu Yahaan that are wooing the fans. In December 2018, SANAM band was featured on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine.
|Release year||Album title||Song title||Label||Writer||Composer||Language|
|2014||The Amazing Spider-Man 2||“Main Hoon”||Sony Music||Samar Puri, Manoj Yadav||Sanam Band||Hindi|
|Release year||Album title||Song title||Label||Language|
|2010||Supastars||Hawa Hawa, Jaan Gaya, Aisa Laga, Behka, Tumse, Teri Aankhon Se, Hawa Hawa, Boondon Se||Times Music||Hindi|
|2011||Samar Sanam||On N On, Paa Hi Liya, Roshni, Higher Mere Saath, Badalne Ke Intezaar Mein, Mujhe Pyaar Karo, Titli||Saregama||Hindi|
|2018||Sanam Revolution||Itni Door, Garmi Di Tu, Ishtyle, Agar Tum Suno, Aaja Aaja, Jaanta Tha, Nazron Ko Nazron Se, Khushnaseeb, Shama Hai Jali, Tumi Robe NirobeRabindra Sangeet||Kurian & Co.||Hindi, Bengali|
|Release year||Album title||Song title||Label||Language|
|2017||In Love With Sanam||Pehla Nasha, Kuch Na Kaho, yeh Raatein Yeh Mausam, Kora Kagaz, Ek Ladki ko dekha toh, o mere dil ke chain, Roop Tera Mastana, Hai Apna Dil toh Awara, Apki Nazron ne Samjha, Lag Jaa Gale||Saregama||Hindi|
|2015||Sanam Revisited||Lag Jaa Gale,Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh, Aapki Nazron Ne Samjha, Tujhse Naraz Nahi Zindagi, Yeh Raatein Yeh Mausam, Mere Sapnon Ki Rani,
O Mere Dil Ke Chain, Mere Mehboob Qayamat Hogi, Roop Tera Mastana, Yeh Vaada Raha
|Saregama &Universal Music India||Hindi|
|Release Year||Single Title||Label||Language|
|2018||SANAM Mennu||Kurian & Co.||Punjabi|
|2018||Amar Mallika Bone||Kurian & Co.||Bengali|
|2018||Tu Yahaan||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
|2018||Dooba Dooba||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
|2018||Ek Pyar Ka Nagma||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
|2019||Kahin Door||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
|2019||Humein Tumse Pyaar Kitna||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
|2019||Chala Jata Hoon||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
|2019||Taarif Karoon||Kurian & Co.||Hindi|
Sanam Puri’s works
|Release year||Film title||Song title||Label||Writer||Composer||Language||Co-singers|
|2013||Gori Tere Pyaar Mein||“Dhat Teri Ki”||Sony Music||Kumaar||Vishal-Shekhar||Hindi||Aditi Singh Sharma|
|2013||Ishk Actually||“Lucky Tonight”||T Series||Manoj Yadav||Chirantan Bhatt||Hindi||Ann Mitchai|
|2014||Hasee Toh Phasee||“Ishq Bulava”||Sony Music||Kumaar||Vishal-Shekhar||Hindi||Shipra Goyal|
|2014||Chandamama Kathalu||“E Kadha”||–||Vanamali||Mickey J Meyer||Telugu||Shweta Pandit|
|2014||Hamshakals||“Barbaad Raat”||Zee Music||Mayur Puri||Himesh Reshamiya||Hindi||Shalmali Kholgade|
|2019||Student of the Year 2||“Fakira”||Zee Music||Anvita Dutt||Vishal-Shekhar||Hindi||Neeti Mohan|
|Qued||Jajabor||“Priyotoma”||–||Faisal Roddy||Faisal Roddy||Bengali||–|
|Release year||Project title||Song title||Writer||Composer||Language||Co-singers|
|2013||Single Release||Teri Aankhon Se (Acoustic Version)||Samar Puri||SANAM (band)||Hindi||Jonita Gandhi|
|2013||Coke Studio @ MTV Season 3 Episode 3||Pinjra||Manoj Yadav||Clinton Cerejo||Hindi||Jonita Gandhi|
|2013||Micromax Unite Anthem||“Roobaroo”||Prasoon Joshi||A R Rahman||Various||Benny Dayal, Raghu Dixit, Apeksha Dandekar, Shruti Pathak, Neeti Mohan, Kamal Khan, Brodha V, Voctronica, Swaroop Khan|
|2014||Single Release||Dua (Cover)||Kumaar||Vishal – Shekhar||Hindi||Sanah Moidutty|
|2016||Jammin||Yaara||Navneeth||A R Rahman||Hindi||A.R. Rahman, Shraddha Sharma, Siddharth Slathia, Jonita Gandhi, Shirley Setia, Arjun Kanungo, Maati Baani ( Nirali Kartik & Kartik Shah), Sanah Moidutty, Raaga Trippin (Alan De Souza, Gary Misquitta, Gwen Dias, Keshia Braganza, Suzanne D’Mello and Thomson Andrews) and Mumbai’s Finest (Ace, Diefferent, Ninja)|
|2016||Jammin||Inquilab Mera Khwab||Puneet Krishna||Clinton Cerejo||Hindi||Clinton Cerejo|
|2015||Single Release||Kuch Na Kaho (Cover)||Javed Akhtar||R. D. Burman||Hindi||Shirley Setia|
|2019||ICC Cricket World Cup Fan Anthem||Way O Way O||Uber||Mickey Mc Larrey||English||With 4 Artists Across Globe|
- Winners of Times Music Supastars in 2010 as SQS Project.
- Best Music Content Creator- (National Category) at the Social Media Summit & Awards in Amravati in 2017 by AP Tourism Minister Bhuma Akhila Priya and MP Kesineni Srinivas.
Sanam won the Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Award for the Live Band 2019 on 20 February 2019
Sanam has won RADIOCITY FREEDOM AWARDS 2019 for their #SANAMOriginal song “ITNI DOOR” under Best Pop Artist (People’s Choice) Category
- Ravishankar, Sriram (20 February 2018). “Interview With The Unstoppable: SANAM BAND”. The Score Magazine (Cover Story).
- Satpute, Shibani. “Meet Sanam: India’s Coolest New Pop Band”. baysidejournal.com/. Bayside Journal.
- Yadav, Kavita (7 June 2017). “It is a very fulfilling experience to feel the energy of a stadium full of fans: Sanam”. Radio & Music. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- “Qyukistars Tops The Youtube’s Fastest Growing List, Passes 800 Million Views”. Business World. 4 May 2016. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Weiss, Geoff. “YouTube Announces “Breakneck Growth” In India, Slate Of New Shows From Local Content Partners”. tubefilter.com. Tube Filter. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Goyal, Malini (8 May 2016). “Meet India’s hottest YouTube stars who are all the rage with the millennial generation”. Economic Times (Panache). Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 8 May2016.
- Boda, Tharun (20 November 2017). “Deepika: one need not react to everything on social media”. The Hindu. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Borthakur, Debarun (24 November 2017). “We have seen our songs bring broken families together and help strangers connect: Sanam”. The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- “Sanam nominated for the best music content creators-All India”. www.musicunplugged.in. 20 November 2017.
- Ferriera, Verus (15 November 2016). “The word SANAM is used in countless Bollywood songs and is directly connected to Indian music”. www.musicunplugged.in. Archived from the original on 15 November 2016.
- Sen, Debarati S (13 January 2018). “Sanam Puri: Spreading love and happiness through music is our greatest achievement”(Bombay Times). Times of India. Times News Network. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- TNN, Times News Network (28 August 2010). “SQS Project wins Times Music Supastars” (Entertainment). The Times of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- D’Souza, Alexis (9 February 2010). “The SQS Story”. myopusradio.com. Platform News. Retrieved 9 February 2010.
- Iyer, Anita. “Mufti clothes SQS!”. soundbox.co.in. Select Publishing Company. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Basu, Lahari (26 December 2017). “Sanam’s secret to success: Good Management” (Entertainment). Millenium Post. The Pioneer Group. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Ratti, Pragati (4 November 2013). “‘Dhat Teri Ki’ a perfect debut, says new singer in B-town Sanam Puri”. NEWS 18. Cable News Network. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- Tuli, Aanchal (1 May 2014). “Spider-Man singer Sanam started with a DU band” (Entertainment). Times of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Wadhwa, Akash (31 January 2014). “I want to be like Honey Singh: Sanam Puri” (Entertainment). Times of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- “I dont mind acting in films – Sanam Puri”. Zoom 4 India. 26 December 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Adivarekar, Priya (23 April 2014). “Singer Sanam Puri works on a promotional song for The Amazing Spiderman 2”. The Indian Express. The Express Group. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- IANS, India’s Largest Independent News Service (18 April 2014). “Sanam Puri made ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ song in one night”. Times of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- Parande, Shweta. “The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Hindi song Main Hoon by Sanam: Spidey flies to the soothing number!”. india.com. India Webportal Pvt Ltd. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Ratti, Pragati (26 April 2014). “The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s Hindi anthem: A song composed in just one night”. CNN News 18. A Time Warner Company. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Youtube FanFest
- Ganguly, Srijani (6 March 2016). “Sanam: The four member band that dominates the virtual world”. India Today.
- Bahirwani, Krishna (3 March 2016). “YouTube FanFest returns to Mumbai on 18th March”. DNA India. Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Sinha, Dipanjan (18 March 2016). “Internet sensations to gather at the YouTube fanfest in Mumbai”. Mid Day. Mid-Day Infomedia Ltd. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- “YouTube FanFest returns to Mumbai for its third edition” (Brand Equity). Economic Times. ET Brand Equity. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- “The Indian pop band Sanam in Maldives”. travelcentremaldives.com. Travel Centre Maldives. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- “The Ballard Estate Festival will give Mumbai more recreational options”. News X. ITV Network. 17 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- TNN, Times News Network (29 August 2016). “Band ‘Sanam’ is India’s fabulous four” (Entertainment). Times of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- “Cerejo, Sanam set Jammin’ rolling with engaging track”. radioandmusic.com. Indiantelevision.com Group. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- “Sanam grosses one million YouTube subscribers”. radioandmusic.com. Radio & Music. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- Singh, Gurjeet (19 February 2017). “Sanam band grosses over One Million Subscribers on Youtube”. Punjab Infoline. Punjab Infoline. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- Pienaar, David (25 May 2016). “Indian pop stars coming to SA”(Entertainment). Comaro Chronicle. Caxton & CTP Printers and Publishers Ltd. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- “Channel V partners pop-rock band Sanam for new property ‘Only On V‘“. www.televisionpost.com. Television Post. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- MUMBAI, IANS (30 March 2017). “Band Sanam’s original compositions to be aired on TV”. Business Standard.
- Chunikiah, Deena (31 March 2017). “Channel V to Launch “Only on V““. Next Tv News International.
- “Band Sanam’s original compositions to be aired on TV”. www.catchnews.com. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- “Sanam band aims to raise awareness about child sexual abuse”. www.radioandmusic.com. Radio & Music. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Bhandari, Kavi (23 December 2017). “Crooning for a cause”(Entertainment, Music). Deccaon Chronicle. Deccan Chronicle Holdings Limited (DCHL). Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Singh Chouhan, Abhishek. “Quick Five with SANAM”. Music Plus. Music Plus. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- “Celebrate the month of love with dil beats a show curated by SANAM on MTV Beats”. www.indiantelevision.com/. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- Vargese, Rebecca (11 February 2018). “Sanam Band release new single on MTV Beats” (Indulge). Indian Express. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- “We’ve bonded over more than just music: Band Sanam”. New Indian Express. 12 February 2018. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- “Celebrate the month of love with Dilbeats”. www.musicunplugged.in. Music Unplugged. Retrieved 16 June2018.
- “We’ve bonded over more than music: Band Sanam”. www.radioandmusic.com. Radio and Music. Retrieved 16 June2018.
- “Pop rock band Sanam hits the right note with their latest song”. Times Of India. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 19 July 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- “India’s FabFour SANAM wooing fans with new single ‘Tu Yahaan’ and now last week mid March released old song of KishorDA’s “Hume Tumse Pyaar Kitna““. Filmfare.com. Filmfare. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Singh, Nirmika (7 December 2018). “Sanam, The Digital Superstars”. Rolling Stone (Cover Story).
- “SQS Project wins Times Music Supastars”. Times Of India. 28 August 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Ahuja, Poonam (24 February 2011). “SQS: No contest in India’s done so much for a band!”. www.radioandmusic.com.
- Ratti, Pragati (15 January 2011). “SQS Supastars: reviving Indian pop music”. News 18. Retrieved 15 January 2011.